Organizations and individuals are struggling with unique legal issues associated with the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. The safety of individuals and families remains the top priority, but organizations must also comply with employment laws and brace for other potential legal issues.
These are extraordinary and uncertain times, but there are ways to prepare your business for what’s ahead. And we can help.
Pandemic-Related Questions and Activities
Kreis Enderle’s attorneys can provide legal counsel and business solutions to various problems prompted by the coronavirus, including:
- Outbreak response plans and emergency preparedness policies
- Business continuity plans
- Emergency leave policies and other paid leave considerations
- ADA compliance, such as asking appropriate illness-related questions, requiring medical exams, and accommodating sick employees
- Leave coverage for sick employees, including FMLA
- Adherence to OSHA and MIOSHA protocols and requirements
- Investigation and litigation of discrimination claims
- Workplace policies for handling sick employees
- HIPAA and employee health and privacy issues
- Travel restrictions
- Wage and hour compliance
- Real estate transactions
- Municipal guidance
- Force Majeure clauses
Kreis Enderle Contacts
If you have questions regarding COVID-19’s impact or if a situation arises and you need legal counsel, please contact one of our comprehensive practice groups:
- Banking & Financial Institutions: For questions regarding the impact on banking and financial institutions including default and other remedies.
- Business & Corporate: For questions regarding the impact on businesses of all types and sizes.
- Employment: For questions regarding sick leave and compensation, workforce management, employee communications and other employment issues.
- Estate Planning: For all questions regarding your estate planning or administration needs.
- Family: For questions regarding the impact on family law issues, including parenting time.
- Health Care: For questions regarding the impact on hospitals, health systems, and providers.
- Landlord/Tenant: For questions regarding the impact on landlords, tenants, and related court proceedings.
- Litigation: For questions regarding civil court proceedings for addressing disputes that will arise from COVID-19-related business closings.
- Municipal: For questions regarding the impact on state and municipal governments.
- Real Estate: For questions regarding the impact on real estate transactions and zoning matters.
Federal and State Resources
Like you, Kreis Enderle has taken steps to protect the health and well-being of our people, and we continue to monitor coronavirus news and information from these trusted resources:
- State of Michigan
- U.S. Department of Labor
- Small Business Administration
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Pandemic Preparedness in the Workplace and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- EEOC Enforcement Guidance: Disability-Related Inquiries and Medical Examinations of Employees under the ADA
- EEOC: What You Should Know About the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and COVID-19
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- World Health Organization
Please Let Us Know How We Can Assist
The lawyers at Kreis Enderle are here to assist individuals and organizations as they adapt to changing COVID-19 information and directives. Of course, we will continue to keep you informed as laws are enacted in response and as the situation progresses. Please visit our dedicated COVID-19 Resource Center for more information.